Everything You Need To Know About Invisalign
Over the years, many different alternatives to traditional braces have skyrocketed in popularity. Possibly the most well-known alternative to braces is Invisalign. Below you can find out what makes Invisalign stand out and see if it’s the right choice for your treatment.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a company that produces clear plastic aligners that straighten teeth. Unlike traditional braces that need to be adjusted every so often, Invisalign treatment consists of switching multiple alignment trays every 1-2 weeks as recommended by your dentist or orthodontist.
What Are The Benefits of Invisalign?
There are many benefits that come with Invisalign treatment. Many people have decided to pursue Invisalign treatment over traditional braces because:
- The trays are removable- This allows more freedom with food choices while undergoing treatment.
- The trays are easy to clean- When going to clean your trays, a simple run-through with your toothbrush will be sufficient, you won’t have to maneuver around brackets like traditional braces.
- Invisalign treatment is more comfortable- When it comes to moving teeth, some discomfort is inevitable, however, Invisalign is made with gentle yet sturdy plastic that lessens the discomfort during the teeth-moving process.
- Invisalign is virtually invisible- The trays aren’t noticeable to the average person so you can feel more confident about your treatment.
- You visit the dentist less- Unlike traditional braces that need constant tightening and adjustments, you can do the majority of your treatment out of the dental office. You will receive a box of aligners to switch between so you won’t have to worry about finding the time to go to your dentist every week or so when you need to advance your treatment.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign makes use of invisible aligners to gradually move your teeth over time. Traditional braces pull the teeth into place while Invisalign guides the teeth and forces them to comply with the shape of the tray.
While undergoing treatment, the trays are to be taken out while you eat or drink anything other than water. Additionally, you will need to brush your teeth before placing the trays back over your teeth. It is recommended that you wear the aligners for a minimum of 22 hours per day.
What Is The Process For Getting Invisalign Like?
Invisalign treatment is easy and non-invasive to your life. If you decide to choose this treatment to realign your teeth, the process will look like this:
- Consultation- Before you choose Invisalign treatment you will need to consult with a dental professional about if the treatment is right for you and how much of an improvement you can make with Invisalign.
- Scan of teeth and mold- You will need to go into the dental office for digital molding. This process will tell the experts at Invisalign how to create your trays and how to properly move your teeth.
- Trying on the first tray- Once your mold has been sent off, you will receive trays shortly and go into your dental office in order to try them out. Your dentist or orthodontist will know how they should fit and can make any adjustments from there.
- Adding attachments- If necessary, your dentist or orthodontist may apply small tooth-colored attachments to your teeth in order to strengthen the results of the trays.
- Switching your trays- Every 1-2 weeks, as advised by your dental professional, you will need to switch trays and progress your own treatment.
- Intermediate appointments- Even though you don’t have to visit the dentist whenever your aligners need to be adjusted, you will still have to visit every 6 or so weeks so that your dental professional can make sure that your teeth are progressing in a positive way.
- Completed treatment- After following the above steps for your treatment period you will be done! You will be given a retainer to use when you sleep to maintain your results.
How Long Does Treatment Last?
The length of your treatments depends on the severity of your alignment issues. Treatment begins at 6 months and can progress past that if necessary.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate For Invisalign
The best candidates for Invisalign are older teens and adults because they are at a stage in life where their jaw has stopped growing, making treatment much more effective. Those who have dental issues such as cavities, TMJ, or gum disease are not ideal candidates, however, if they are able to fix their dental issues they may become eligible for Invisalign.